Saturday, March 10, 2012

Designer Resources........Mecox Gardens in LA

On my recent trip to California I visited several wonderful design showrooms in LA.  I was guided there by Brooke Giannetti of Velvet and Linen.  Today I want to share with you, Mecox Gardens. This was a wonderful place to be inspired.  Everywhere I looked there I saw beautiful furniture and accessories. 

What caught  my eye were several pieces of furniture that were wrapped with another material.



This is a bookcase that is uphostered in linen and accented with nailheads...lots of them!
  I think this is a brilliant idea.  While it might be labor intensive, upholstering all or part of any old piece of furniture will give it a totally new look and feel.  It could be professionally done or you could try it yourself, but I would start with a small project, like a box or trunk before tackling your old breakfront!


Another great look is this wrapped table.  A bit of cord or rope and an old table take on a whole new personality. 


This too would be labor intensive but adding texture and a twist can be very effective and refreshing.
So if you are thinking of refinishing, painting or faux finishing here is a new idea, try recovering.  Not only does it add a new dimension to your piece of furniture but a very interesting way to recycle old fabrics and more.

Mecox Gardens is so much more than these photos can show. They have showrooms all over the country. I was excited to find out they have one right up the road in West Palm Beach, FL on Antiques Row. Lucky me. Check out their website too.

Does this inspire you to recover something old?  I would love to know and my readers would too.  Have you ever tried it yourself?  How did it turn out?  I wonder if
 Design Sponge has tips on this kind of project.

No comments:

Post a Comment